Jeremy R. James
Jeremy earned a BA in Literature from the University of Colorado at Boulder. He earned his JD at Lewis & Clark Law School where he graduated cum laude, was a member of the Cornelius Honor Society, a Keller Business Scholar, and the recipient of the 2012 Oregon State Bar Securities Law Scholarship.
Practice Areas & Experience
Jeremy is a technically savvy and experienced trial attorney who advocates on behalf of individual and business clients in a wide range of disputes. His clients benefit from his deep knowledge and love of the law as well as his tenacious yet professional approach to achieving the best result possible.
Over the course of his legal career, Jeremy has successfully represented clients in breach of contract cases, partnership and LLC disputes, defamation cases, real estate litigation, personal injury claims, financial abuse claims, discrimination claims, landlord/tenant lawsuits, HOA and condominium disputes and litigation, construction claims (residential and commercial), and much more. He has handled jury trials, bench trials, court-annexed arbitrations and private arbitrations. He also routinely represents clients in their efforts to achieve favorable settlements, including by participating in private mediations, judicial settlement conferences, and insurance claim negotiations. A skilled legal writer, Jeremy also handles appellate work, including briefing and arguing cases before the Oregon Court of Appeals.
In addition to his work as a trial attorney, Jeremy also enjoys advising clients on real estate sales, business formation, employment matters, commercial and residential leasing issues, and HOA and condominium law.
Here are just a few of Jeremy’s successful cases:
• Obtained jury verdict in client’s favor in case involving claims for financial abuse and conversion; client entitled to compensatory treble damages as well as attorney fees and costs
• Prevailed on motions for summary judgment granting specific performance of real estate sale agreement and obtaining dismissal of opposing party’s claims for money damages for alleged waste to property
• Successfully defended (by prevailing on summary judgment) claims for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, and specific performance arising out of a real estate dispute
• Prevailed at private arbitration on client’s claims for breach of residential construction contract, including award of compensatory damages, attorney fees, and costs
• Prevailed on appeal before the Oregon Court of Appeals on behalf of client seeking to reverse a trial court’s decision to set aside a judgment in their favor; obtained award of attorney fees for clients incurred in appeal
• Prevailed on special motions to strike under Oregon’s anti-SLAPP statutes in case involving defamation claims; obtained dismissal of claims and award of attorney fees and costs
Oregon State Bar
U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
Outside of his legal practice, Jeremy and his wife enjoy trying to keep up with their three young children as they explore Oregon’s great outdoors (and indoors).